Friday, January 23, 2004

Ever goofed? Ever been chastised by someone, for doing something wrong? Try being the Brother of Jared, who for three hours endured the Lord's lecture, because he forgot to call upon the Lord. (Ether 2:14) And you thought perhaps your parents were bad?

One might wonder, gee, how do you forget to call upon the Lord, after he's helped you out, promised you a great land, and directly answered your prayers.

I have to think that perhaps the Brother of Jared, after being led away with all their stuff, found that they liked where they were. Perhaps he suspected that God would ask greater things of them. God may have attempted to prod him a time or two... Perhaps he knew that a challenge was coming, and was busying himself with the business of everyday life to avoid those promptings.

Why do I suspect this? Mostly because this is what I tend to do... call upon God when a calamity is pending or has just wiped me out, but otherwise I tend to be the type that wants nothing further... it's good enough... you want me to do what?!

Aw well... I keep praying that I'll change that part of myself... who knows, maybe this year I'll get it right.

The brother of Jared eventually saw all things. Beheld God Himself... because he continued in faith. Where will my journey end?

No comments: