Friday, November 08, 2002

Today I'm entrenched in the war chapters of Alma. Considered a "sandbar" by many, it is always the area where I start to ask myself deep questions. Especially questions like, "Did these people REALLY exist"? It's at these chapters that I start to think that I'd like to make a map someday and start mapping out the land, perhaps do a demographic survey from the book too. It's a tough study, because the information isn't provided to prove they existed. It's presented completely haphazardly, and matter of factly, like "We existed, we know we did, cuz we're here, and it should be obvious." I don't think Moroni and Mormon (assuming they existed, which is the context through which I always judge these things, being a believer... duh.) didn't realize just how deeply their civilization would be forgotten, obliterated and completely wiped out. It's as if they know they've received the Lord's Promise that someday their existence would be made known to their seed and that such was good enough, that the rest of it, the proving of it all, was circumstantial.

And truthfully it is. Still a part of me--probably because I'm such a visual learner--really wants to go to the land of the Nephites, and see Captain Moroni atop a wall, or Pahoran stirring up the people of the countryside to take back Zarahemla from the Kingmen, or the land of Jershon and the Ammonites, or the 2000 sons of Helaman fighting with perfect obedience. I think the wars do that, because Moroni was so filled with passion for his cause. There are curiosities about the battles that don't make much sense to me, mostly because Mormon doesn't take the time to explain them. Like the "intrigues among the Nephites" that causes Amalikiah's armies to gain such power over the Nephites and capture many of their cities. We know that the Kingmen were a big pain in this time, but it doesn't really say that this was the cause for the borderland battles, they were predominant in Zarahemla. Another thing I've wondered about (in Alma 55) is why did Moroni sneak into the city and arm the prisoners and then leave the city and just surround the Lamanite army and waited until they were no longer drunken? Why not take the drunken lamanites by force? Mormon kind of explains that Moroni didn't delight in bloodshed, and so he didn't just slay the drunken lamanites. That makes sense, but if they were so wasted (as to be asleep, as the account claims) then why not take them and bind them, or something like that?

Of course these questions miss the point of these accounts. I think it is significant that there is a large portion of the Book of Mormon dedicated to detailing the wars of the Lamanites and Nephites. First I think it something we need to remember in this age. We dream of a world free from war, but it just seems awfully unlikely as long as there is money, pride and class distinction among the people. When people are intent upon being so different that they will kill, or when another people insists that everyone be just like them, then there's gonna be war. As long as we esteem each other as less than ourselves, and embrace selfishness, there will be war. Moroni established peace by being ready for war, sure, but also he did so by being righteous, by covenanting with God that they would remain righteous or God should exercise his justice upon our people.

It is interesting (to me) that in response to the Kingmen, Moroni sets into motion a political movement that while it eliminates the kingmen's political ambitions for a while, actually drives those intent upon being wicked to secret combinations, a problem that rears its ugly head in the following generation about the time that Pahoran and Moroni die. Because the people didn't feel free to dissent publicly, in particular in regards to treason and the establishing of the privileged as kings, the wealthy resorted to secret combinations. It was in direct response to Paanchi's rebellion, because of the tough laws set in motion by Moroni's insistence that you fight for the liberty of your people or you die. I guess it goes to show that evil finds a way, regardless of how many laws you set in place. Kind of a depressing message, I suppose, but then considering what happens to the Nephites in the end, this is just a little foreshadowing.

I'll save my reflections upon the Justice of God and the 2000 warriors to another post. I do think it's an interesting story in and of itself, but again it leaves me with questions. By the way, just because I have questions doesn't mean I am paralyzed with fear, or dying of doubt. I love this Book of Mormon. I know it is true because of how it has changed my life. I think it would be ridiculous NOT to have questions about the Book of Mormon, because there are so many details that have been left to be inferred or to be answered by the Spirit in quiet moments of the mind. It is why I write here, because I want to explore possibilities. I love the questions because they open my mind to possibilities that God has been active in my life and I need to look for the answers. Anyone who reads this book, or the Bible and doesn't have questions is, in my opinion, not really reading it. We should ask how these lessons apply to us. Often there are many answers, and they come at different times and in different ways and that's the value of scripture. It isn't a rigid guidebook, take ten paces here, ten paces there, you will see this and that, and you will not do this, blah blah blah, leaving one no place for exploration, rather scriptures mark significant spiritual landmarks and you're expected to make the journey through life, exploring, discovering, and learning. You learn of yourself, you learn of others, and you grow. Anyhow those are a few thoughts, best regards, --Ray

No comments: